Thursday, January 20, 2011

The World's Most Dangerous Countries

The World's Most Dangerous Countries - Slideshows - Travel + Leisure

I read an article today that lists the world's most dangerous places for travel right now. I was saddened to read that 3 countries I want to visit made it onto to the list; Lebanon, Syria, and Uzbekistan.
You may be thinking,"seriously?"
Yes, seriously.

Beirut, Lebanon and Damascus, Syria are part of my Middle Eastern dream overland trip from Istanbul to Cairo. As for Uzbekistan, that's a late addition to my bucket list. Last year, I was playing the NatGeo challenge on my phone and a picture appeared. I had to guess what country this picture was taken. I guessed Morocco and guessed wrong. The answer was Samarkand, Uzbekistan. I was so smitten by one photograph that I instantly looked up some information on this country. Shortly after, I read an article about the Silk Road and ever since then, this "stan" country made it to my own list.

Does this "dangerous" list alter any of my plans? No, because visiting the mentioned "dream" destinations isn't in my horizon any time soon. However, I couldn't help but notice this is a list compiled by "Travel+Leisure" magazine, a publication that isn't known for trekking off of the well paved road. But for the most part, I agree with the countries listed. Although I am shocked that Mexico didn't make the dangerous list.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment