Thursday, January 20, 2011

Traveler or a Tourist?


En Route to Mexico City c.2010

That’s a question many travel enthusiasts ask themselves and until recently, it wasn’t something I’d given much thought to. The more I thought about that question the more I realized  I did have a negative definition of the word “Tourist”. It was a label I didn’t want. For a long time, the image I had of a tourist was this  
 Tourists c.1970 
Duane Hanson

I’ve had my share of so called typical experiences in the states and abroad, and well, I’ve also had my share of “let’s just wing it” experiences in the states and abroad. I’ve come to accept that I’m not one or the other. I’m both, the tourist and the traveler. I don’t judge people for standing next to the leaning tower of Pisa while pretending to hold it up. ( I WILL do this one day too)  I also don’t judge the 45 year old man staying at a youth hostel as he treks his way around the globe after quitting his job. I agree with Robert Louis Steven, “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move. ... whether it's literally or via an armchair.

Recently, I read an article that tackles this debate. https://getcurrency.com/blog/tourists-vs-travelers
I believe the writer summed it up perfectly. “...real travelers don’t care what they’re called.”


No comments:

Post a Comment