Thursday, January 13, 2011

Istanbul to Kathmandu

Over the weekend I was at the Central Library in Downtown Los Angeles in search of a current guide for an opportunity that has come my way. (Details on that to come very soon). As I was browsing,  a title that caught my eye. “Istanbul to Kathmandu”. My first reaction at reading this title was “how old is this book??” I looked inside and read it that it was published in June of 2001, not too long before the world changed dramatically.


It’s a shame. Travel plans and dreams can disappear in a blink of an eye whether those disruptions are natural, political or even economical causes. Hopefully in time, certain restricted places can be visited freely again. 


I’m reminded of the American hikers that were arrested, detained in Iran and accused of espionage. I’m not known to be afraid of traveling to areas that aren’t on the cover of “Travel + Leisure” magazine, but I think one has to be careful how fearlessness is approached and be conscious of where they want to take that fearless attitude. I'm sure there are ways through this route, but I also think there is an obvious reason why the company hasn't released an updated edition. 

I do hope the two remaining men are released soon. However, I suppose the lesson in their story is that an adventurous spirit isn't immune to the dangerous instability of the world. http://freethehikers.org/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment